USAA earned the highest score in the Temkin Customer Service Ratings for the fifth year in a row. USAA banking business earned the only excellent rating (81%), while its insurance, and credit card businesses tied with Mercedes-Benz for the second highest rating of 77%.
These Ratings evaluate the customer service of 295 companies across 20 industries based on a study of 10,000 U.S. consumers.
Following USAA and Mercedes-Benz at the top of the ratings are Publix, ACE Rent A Car, credit unions, Trader Joe’s, and HomeAway. Four TV/Internet service providers are at the bottom of the Temkin Customer Service Ratings: Cablevision, Cox Communications, Comcast, and Time Warner Cable. The next lowest rated companies (all with ratings below 43%) are BCBS of Florida, AT&T, Sprint, Days Inn, Anthem, Dish Network, and Aetna.
Here are some additional highlights from the 2017 Temkin Customer Service Ratings:
• Supermarkets topped the ratings with an average score of 66% followed by investment firms at 64%. At the other end of the ratings, TV/Internet service providers earned the lowest average ratings of 36%, while the next lowest industry is health plans at 48%.
• These companies earned ratings of 15 points or more above their industry averages: AOL, USAA (for it banking, insurance, and credit cards business), Mercedes-Benz, ACE Rent A Car.
• Days Inn earned a rating that was 22 points below the hotel industry average. Airbnb, Kmart, and Spirit Airlines also fell 15 points or more below their peers.
• All 19 industries that are in both the 2016 and 2017 ratings increased over the previous year (streaming media is new this year). Four industries had double-digit increases: utilities, rental cars & transport, TV & appliances, auto dealers, and airlines.
• Chevrolet dealers jumped 40 points between 2016 and 2017, leading these other firms that increased by more than 25 points: Lowe’s, Blackboard, USAA, credit unions, DHL, Costco, and Mercedes-Benz.
• Eight companies dropped by more than 10 points over the previous year: Delta Airlines, Sonic Drive-In, Wendy’s, Rite Aid, Allstate, Days Inn, Barclaycard, and Wells Fargo.