Christmas shopping never got easier. Now you can do thoughtful holiday shopping in your pajamas. This year the hot buzz is electronic, plastic gift cards. Every serious retailer now offers some kinda gift card and most offer the capability of ordering the gift cards online. No fuss, no muss!
TOP TEN GIFT CARDS FOR 1999 1. Wal-Mart 6. Circuit City 2. K-Mart 7. Nordstrom 3. Sears 8. Barnes & Noble 4. Home Depot 9. Tower Records 5. Borders 10. Zale's
1. Wal-Mart offers gift cards in denominations of $20, $50, $100, $250, $500 and $1,000. The cards can also be used at Sam’s Club but there is a 5% upcharge on non-member purchases. The cards are shipped UPS Ground and should arrive within 5-7 working days. The card is also reloadable, in that you can get a dollar amount put back on the card. For more information visit www.walmart.com.
2. Kmart offers the Kmart Cash Card in increments of $25, $50 or $100. The cards can be shipped in two business days with rush processing. For more details www.kmart.com.
3. Sears, Roebuck and Co. offers a gift card that can be purchased in $5 increments (with a minimum of $10, a maximum of $100) and may be applied toward in-store purchases at Sears store locations in the United States and Puerto Rico. Each Sears Gift Card, individually wrapped in a special gift holder, can be mailed via U.S. Postal Service directly to the recipient with a personalized message. There is no charge for shipping and handling when the card is purchased through www.sears.com.
4. Home Depot also announced this month the availability of Home Depot Gift Cards at its Web site (www.homedepot.com). The gift cards, can be purchased in amounts of $10, $25, $50 or $100 and can be redeemed at any Home Depot, EXPO Design Center or Villager’s Hardware stores in the United States. Customers have the option to have the gift card package shipped to the recipient’s home or business address via US Postal Service, United Parcel Service ground, UPS 2-day or UPS next day service. The recipient will also receive a personalized message in the card carrier.
5. Borders Cafe Espresso offers the first cafe gift card. Customers who purchase the $20 cafe card can use it for more than just latte. The card can also be swiped for books, music or video in the store. Borders has also introduced an Explorers gift card for children, a prepaid card that can carry any amount of buying power from $5 to $500. The card is good for anything at Borders including books, CDs, videos and many other items available throughout the store. Visit www.borders.com for more information.
6. Circuit City and giftpoint.com offer consumers the ability to order Circuit City gift cards in multiples of $25, up to $10,000. Recipients receive an instant notice of the gift via e-mail as well as an electronic greeting card. Visit www.circuitcity.com.
7. Nordstrom offers gift cards from $10 to any amount under $1,000 at any on-line register on the sales floor and at the Nordstrom Rack. Gift cards over $1,000 may be purchased in person at the customer service department in any Nordstrom store. Customers may also choose to consolidate the value of several different cards onto a single gift card. Visit www.nordstrom.com.
8. Barnes & Noble gift cards can be purchased with any payment method and in any amount between $5 and $100, or $25 and $50 pre-denominated cards. In addition, customers can add value to the card in amounts between $5 to $100. There is no fee or charge for the card. Visit www.barnesnoble.com.
9. Tower Records gift cards can be purchased and redeemed at all U.S. Tower locations and online at Tower Records.com. Tower Gift Cards are available in denominations ranging from $10 – $100 and carry no expiration date. Visit www.towerrecords.com.
10. Zales jewelers offers gift cards in any denomination from $25 and $10,000. Gift card holders can redeem their cards for merchandise, increase their balances or verify their balances at any store. Customers can also obtain their balance by calling the toll free number on the back of the card. Visit www.zales.com.
SwiftGiftCard offers a MasterCard prepaid gift card issued by KeyBank. SwiftGiftCard is offering the card in denominations of $25, $50, $75 and $100 and will emboss the recipient’s name on the card. The cards will expire three months from the issue date. The company is also including a personalized greeting card. The company charges a handling fee of $6.95 to $8.95 for each card. However the card cannot be used at an ATM. Visit www.swiftgiftcard.com.