Here is a fast and easy tip sheet on the top credit card tips for beginners. Follow as many of these tips as you can to ensure you establish good credit and don’t dig yourself into a bottomless pit of debt. Here are five credit card tips for beginners.
1. Start out small. You don’t need a huge credit line and all the bells and whistles with your first credit card. Ease into it and don’t feel as if you have to make purchases with your credit card all the time. Go at your own comfortable pace!
2. Keep tabs on your account balance. One of the worst things you can do as a new credit card user is to bite off more than you can chew financially. Make sure you give yourself a budget and stick to it.
3. Pay your balance on time every time. It doesn’t matter if you are going on vacation or not. Be sure to pay your bill in advance, or at the very least, on time, every time to avoid late fees and interest penalties.
4. Plan to pay your bill in full each month. It may not be possible all the time, but one of the best ways to keep yourself out of debt is to avoid getting into debt in the first place. Pay off your statement in full and on time for the best chances of success as a new credit card user.
5. Never treat your credit card like free money. Give yourself a budget and stick to it. Always remember that what you put on the plastic now you are going to have to pay back with interest later if you don’t pay it off when your bill comes due.