Frequent flyer programs offer a lot of benefits to travelers, especially those who travel numerous times per year. From earning airline miles to cashing in on upgrades and other perks, frequent flyer programs offer a great opportunity to make the most of your trips, whether business, pleasure, or a bit of both. Most times you can sign up for the frequent flyer programs at no cost and you can start reaping the benefits right away.
Some of the most popular frequent flyer programs include American Airlines AAdvantage, Delta Air Lines SkyMiles, US Airways Dividend Miles, Continental Airlines OnePass, United Airlines Mileage Plus, and Alaska Airlines Mileage Plan. In addition to these frequent flyer memberships, be sure you look into rewards credit cards that offer you the chance to earn additional travel perks, especially airline miles.
Remember, most if not all frequent flyer programs require your account to be active or else they will revoke your earned airline miles following periods of inactivity. You may be able to keep your account active in other ways besides actually flying somewhere. Look into shopping opportunities with the program’s partners, or you may be able to buy additional miles or make another transaction.
If you do find that your account has been closed or that your miles have been revoked, you still have hope. Consider these tips to give you the best chance of reinstating your frequent flyer membership as well as all your perks and the miles you’ve accumulated to date.
- First try to get in touch with the consumer complaints or consumer affairs department of the airline.
- Once you have an agent on the line, politely request that your airline miles be reinstated and your account is returned to its normal state.
- Be persistent and understand your consumer rights.
- Even if you don’t make progress on your first try, try again until you gain some ground.
- Be sure to document all of your efforts and interactions along with time and date as well as the name of the agent or supervisor on the line.
Once you succeed in reinstating your account and your miles, the next most important thing is to familiarize yourself with the different terms and conditions of your account. This way you won’t have to deal with the stress and aggravation of keeping your account active going forward. And as always, if you have questions about your account, be sure to call the customer service line to ensure you are informed and prepared.