Mastercard is honoring cancer caregivers as it kicks off its annual dine out campaign to raise funds for Stand Up To Cancer (SU2C). #StandUpForThem is a digitally driven effort to draw attention to this important role and how we can all be caregivers in our own way.
Mastercard is helping its cardholders’ actions go further by making a donation on their behalf when they dine out. From now through August 18, 2017, spend $10 or more on your Mastercard when paying for a meal at a qualifying U.S. restaurant, and Mastercard will make a one cent donation up to $4 Million to Stand Up To Cancer.
The Annual Dine Out campaign has a goal of bringing total funds raised to fight cancer to $39 million. There are currently more than 15.5 million people in the U.S. who have been diagnosed with cancer.
Mastercard ambassador Anthony Rizzo uses Masterpass at Marlins Park concession to buy lunch for young cancer survivors at Marlins Park in Miami, FL in an effort to generate awareness of the Mastercard partnership with Stand Up To Cancer and the annual dine out campaign.
Mastercard and Stand Up To Cancer have outlined a few simple ways you can support someone through their fight:
• DON’T OFFER HELP, BE HELP. It may be difficult, in the midst of medical treatment, for patients to be able to respond to general or open-ended offers to help. Identify something specific that can take a burden off of the patient and just do it. You can provide pet care or help with daily household needs like laundry or meal prep.
• TAKE CARE OF THE CAREGIVERS. Step in for the patient’s main caregiver to give them a break to care of themselves. Family members are much more likely to take a break knowing someone is there in their absence.
• PROVIDE TRANSPORTATION. Cancer care can involve a lot of transportation to and from treatment. If you are able, offer a ride to and from appointments.
• LET THEM KNOW YOU’RE THINKING ABOUT THEM. Patients are often too tired to talk on the phone but they still want to know you are thinking about them. Drop a short note or a postcard in the mail or send an email or text with a silly joke.
• TAKE THEM OUT FOR A MEAL. If they’re up for it, take the patient and their caregiver out for a meal. A change of scene and casual conversation can provide a reprieve from their fight.
The Mastercard promotion ends on August 18, 2017, or when maximum $4 million donation goal is reached, whichever comes first. Qualifying purchases can only be made at a U.S. restaurant as defined by the applicable Mastercard Merchant Category Code. Debit PIN and International transactions ineligible.